UK Visas

UK immigration includes England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. UK visas, therefore, are valid for any of these four countries.

Whether you want to visit the UK, work in the UK, study or live permanently with a British partner, the chances are you will need a visa.

Visiting the UK: Many nationalities require a visa simply to visit (or even transit) the UK.  Visit visas cover visits for tourism, business, short courses, visiting professors, academics on sabbatical, getting married, paying for medical treatment, certain sports and entertainment performances, and more.

Working in the UK: Work in the UK comes under the Points Based System, of which there are various visas: for Highly Skilled Migrants (including Entrepreneurs and Investors), Skilled Worker visas for skilled migrants with a job offer from a licensed employer, T5 visas  for Temporary Workers in various sectors and the Youth Mobility Scheme.

Studying in the UK: For courses longer than 6 months, or where permission to work is required/desired, Student visas are needed.  An offer of a place from an educational institution is required.  This institution issues a ‘Certificate of Acceptance for Studies’ which is used to make a visa application, supported by other documents including evidence of ability to pay tuition for the first year, and maintenance for the first 9 months.

Family/partner visas: For family members of someone living permanently in the UK, there are various visas, including for spouses/civil partners/unmarried partners, fiance(e)s, physically dependent parents, and dependent children.  NB: these visas go by various names, so it can get confusing – if confused get in touch!

If you want to know if you will need a visa to do what you want to do simply get in touch, and Nikki de Prey will let you know.

About Nikki de Prey

de Prey Consulting is an immigration consultancy based in Edinburgh, UK. Nikki advises clients on the variety of visa applications for entering or remaining in the UK. For more information read about her background in About dPC.