T5 Visas

Temporary Workers and Youth Mobility Scheme

T5 (formerly ‘Tier 5’) is for temporary workers in various categories, and for the Youth Mobility Scheme which is open to nationals of certain countries only.

T5 (Temporary Workers)

T5 has six categories for ‘Temporary Workers’:

  • Creative and sporting – for those coming to the UK for up to 12 months as sportspeople, entertainers or creative artists
  • Charity workers – for those coming to the UK for voluntary work with a charity
  • Religious workers – for those coming to the UK as short-term paid religious workers, including preaching, pastoral and non-pastoral work
  • Government authorised exchange – for those coming to the UK through approved schemes that aim to share knowledge, experience and best practice between nations
  • International agreement – for those coming to the UK under contract to provide a service under international law (such as employees of overseas governments and international organisations, or private servants in diplomatic households)
  • Seasonal workers – for work in the edible horticultural sector (for example, fruit picking).

To be eligible for a visa under T5 (Temporary Worker) you must:

  • Have a valid Certificate of Sponsorship from an employer with a T5 Sponsor License
  • Having sufficient funds to support yourself on first arrival, or your Sponsor can confirm on your Certificate of Sponsorship you will be supported.

T5 (Temporary Worker) Youth Mobility Scheme

This visa is open to young people from certain countries.  Those countries effectively act as the ‘sponsor’ as far as UKVI is concerned (but does not require a Certificate of Sponsorship for this visa).  These countries have signed an agreement with the UK to act as the sponsor for their young people who apply under the scheme (and offer a reciprocal programme to British Citizens).

Successful applicants are granted a visa for two years (with an optional 3rd year for Australians, Canadians and New Zealanders), during which time they can work in the UK in any capacity, except for certain forms of self-employment, working as a professional sportsperson/coach or working as a doctor/dentist in training.

Applicants must:

  • Be aged between 18 and 30 (inclusive of both of those ages) – or up to age 35 for Australians, Canadians, New Zealanders, and those from the Republic of Korea
  • Demonstrate you have a set amount in your personal bank account, held for 28 days untouched prior to your application.

Why not use Nikki de Prey’s expertise and inside experience? She’d love to work with you!

About Nikki de Prey

de Prey Consulting is an immigration consultancy based in Edinburgh, UK. Nikki advises clients on the variety of visa applications for entering or remaining in the UK. For more information read about her background in About dPC.