Skilled Worker visas

Sponsored Migrants – skilled workers sponsored by an employer (formerly Tier 2 visas)

The Skilled Worker visa is for those with job offers in the UK, from an employer who has a license to sponsor visas.

You must have a job offer from an employer who has a license with UK Visas and Immigration as a sponsor, called a Sponsor License.  To be eligible for the Skilled Worker points under the Points Based System you must score 70 points:

  • 50 mandatory points – points are earned for having a Certificate of Sponsorship from an employer with a Sponsor License (20), at an appropriate skill level (20), and meeting the English language requirement (10)
  • 20 tradeable points – these will generally be obtained through being paid a sufficient salary; however, you can have a lower salary for having a PhD relevant to the role, or being a ‘new entrant’ to the workplace (age 25 or under, or having just studied a degree in the UK, for example), or being a health, education or social care worker.

There are three other types of sponsored work visa, all of which involve having a job offer from an employer with a Sponsor License:

  • Global Mobility (formerly Intra-Company Transfer) – those employed by a multi-national company who are being transferred to a UK branch of the same company
  • Sportsperson – for elite sportspersons or coaches
  • Ministers of Religion – for those taking up a role within your faith community in the UK, including Missionaries and Members of a Religious Order.

If you have a job offer from an employer with a Sponsor License, or from an employer who is willing to apply for a Sponsor License but needs help with that process, why not use Nikki de Prey’s expertise and inside experience? She’d love to work with you!

About Nikki de Prey

de Prey Consulting is an immigration consultancy based in Edinburgh, UK. Nikki advises clients on the variety of visa applications for entering or remaining in the UK. For more information read about her background in About dPC.