Student Visas

Study in the UK (previously Tier 4 visas)

In order to study in the UK and obtain a UK Student Visa (previously called a ‘Tier 4 visa’), a student must have already obtained an offer of a place at an educational establishment.

The educational establishment must be registered with the UK’s Home Office as a Student Visa sponsor, and will issue you with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (or CAS).  Once this has been issued you can apply for your Student Visa.

To be eligible for a Student Visa you must score 70 points in total:

  • Having a valid Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) – 50 points
  • Having met the requirement for English language – 10 points
  • Having enough money to cover tuition fees and living costs (Financial requirement) – 10 points

You may also be interviewed to assess the credibility of your application – how much you know about your course, what you plan to do with your qualification once obtained, where you obtained the money to pay for your studies and so forth.

Sound simple?  In theory it is, but in practice the documentary requirements for gaining the 70 points are specific and improperly prepared applications can therefore lead to a visa refusal.  The time, money (you must pay the fee each time you apply, no refunds!) and stress involved can be avoided with a properly prepared application.

Why not use Nikki’s expertise and inside experience?  She’d love to work with you to fulfil your educational dreams!

About Nikki de Prey

de Prey Consulting is an immigration consultancy based in Edinburgh, UK. Nikki advises clients on the variety of visa applications for entering or remaining in the UK. For more information read about her background in About dPC.