A Step-by-Step guide to Settlement Visas!

This guide is for partners of either British Citizens or British residents who hold Indefinite Leave to Remain, who are outside the UK. Settlement visas (also known as partner visas or ‘to join family’) can be a cause of great stress to try to understand. The financial requirement is complex, and a comprehensive list of […]

Read full storyComments{2}

Maintenance requirement increases

The UK Government have announced that, for the first time since the Points Based System was introduced, the ‘Maintenance’ requirement for all Points Based System applications will be increased, as follows: Tier 1 (Entrepreneur): £3100 if applying from outside the UK, £900 if applying from inside the UK; held for 3 months, for applicants applying […]

Read full storyComments{0}

Biometrics Residence Permits

The government has announced that various changes with Biometrics Residence Permits will come into effect from Spring 2012.  Biometrics Residence Permits are only given to those already in the UK who apply to change their immigration status to certain visa categories. All those applying to stay longer than 6 months will be required to get […]

Read full storyComments{0}

Student dependants

New rules were brought in concerning student visas as of 21/4/11.  Some further changes will be introduced in July, and more again in April 2012. One change that is worth noting is that, as of July 2011, students studying below National Qualifications Framework level 7 or equivalent (Masters Degree level or equivalent) will not be […]

Read full storyComments{0}

Changes today, 6th April 2011

The government have been announcing changes to UK visas over the past few months, the following of which have taken place as of today: Tier 1 (General) no longer exists There is a quota of 1000 visas instead for those with ‘exceptional talent’ who have been recognised in their field of science, engineering or the […]

Read full storyComments{0}

English requirement and Life in the UK test

For all Settlement visas for partners – those coming to the UK to marry/ have a Civil Partnership with a British Citizen/permanent resident, or already married to/a Civil Partner or an unmarried partner of a British Citizen/permanent resident – there is now a requirement that you speak English (introduced in November 2010). If you are […]

Read full storyComments{0}

Marrying a Brit – 5 things to know about visas

If you want to get married in the UK you need a visa (unless you are a citizen of an EEA country or Switzerland) – either a Visit-Marriage Visa or a Fiancé(e) Visa, see Tip 5. If you want to live in the UK, but are wondering where to marry, it may be cheaper and […]

Read full storyComments{0}

About Nikki de Prey

de Prey Consulting is an immigration consultancy based in Edinburgh, UK. Nikki advises clients on the variety of visa applications for entering or remaining in the UK. For more information read about her background in About dPC.