A Step-by-Step guide to Settlement Visas!

This guide is for partners of either British Citizens or British residents who hold Indefinite Leave to Remain, who are outside the UK. Settlement visas (also known as partner visas or ‘to join family’) can be a cause of great stress to try to understand. The financial requirement is complex, and a comprehensive list of […]

Read full storyComments{2}

Biometrics Residence Permits for all

Biometrics Residence Permits (BRPs) will now be mandatory for all categories of visa issued within the UK for stays of 6 months or more including Settlement (ILR), as of 29/2/12. By 10 April there will be 104 locations across the UK where biometrics (fingerprints and a digital photo) can be enrolled, including some Post Offices, […]

Read full storyComments{0}

Tier 2 visa holders no longer automatically eligible for settlement

The government has announced that, following a consultation in the autumn, the link between Tier 2 temporary workers and Settlement (or ‘Indefinite Leave to Remain’) will be broken, and the amount of time given at Tier 2 will be capped at 6 years. However, there will be exceptions, who will still be eligible to apply […]

Read full storyComments{0}

Biometrics Residence Permits

The government has announced that various changes with Biometrics Residence Permits will come into effect from Spring 2012.  Biometrics Residence Permits are only given to those already in the UK who apply to change their immigration status to certain visa categories. All those applying to stay longer than 6 months will be required to get […]

Read full storyComments{0}

Changes today, 6th April 2011

The government have been announcing changes to UK visas over the past few months, the following of which have taken place as of today: Tier 1 (General) no longer exists There is a quota of 1000 visas instead for those with ‘exceptional talent’ who have been recognised in their field of science, engineering or the […]

Read full storyComments{0}

English requirement and Life in the UK test

For all Settlement visas for partners – those coming to the UK to marry/ have a Civil Partnership with a British Citizen/permanent resident, or already married to/a Civil Partner or an unmarried partner of a British Citizen/permanent resident – there is now a requirement that you speak English (introduced in November 2010). If you are […]

Read full storyComments{0}

Marrying a Brit – 5 things to know about visas

If you want to get married in the UK you need a visa (unless you are a citizen of an EEA country or Switzerland) – either a Visit-Marriage Visa or a Fiancé(e) Visa, see Tip 5. If you want to live in the UK, but are wondering where to marry, it may be cheaper and […]

Read full storyComments{0}

About Nikki de Prey

de Prey Consulting is an immigration consultancy based in Edinburgh, UK. Nikki advises clients on the variety of visa applications for entering or remaining in the UK. For more information read about her background in About dPC.